What can be done with an IP address?
There are times you need to connect to your router, for example, to address a network-wide problem, and make changes to your network.
To access a router requires that you know the router’s IP address and the administrative user’s password and username.
So, you need to be careful when you enter the IP address and not to type the wrong IP address like the one on top.
the right version of this IP address is 192.168.1.1 .
How to Access a router?
To connect to your router, follow these steps:
- Make sure your computer is connected to the router using either an ethernet cable or a wireless connection.
- Identify the IP address of the router.
Note: The IP Address of the router can be changed by these factors:
- If you run the setup CD of the router
- If you change it on the web-based setup page of the router
- Open a web browser such as chrome, or Firefox and request a connection to the router using its IP address.
- Enter the administrative login information to authenticate and access the admin settings.
Note: Routers are shipped with default usernames and passwords.
This is usually the word (admin).
If after trying the username and password on the router, the browser returns an error message, your computer might not be connected to the correct router.
Or, the username and password combination might not have been correct.
If you’re sure that you’re using the correct IP address to access the router, follow these steps:
- Reboot the router.
- Open a web browser such as chrome, or Firefox, and request a connection to the router using its IP address.
- Temporarily disable the firewall.
- Reset your router to factory defaults.
Note: This restores the router to its default condition with the IP address.
Updating Security settings
- All routers have a default password which you should change as soon as possible to avoid unauthorized access.
- Wi-Fi password – over time there are many reasons you might want to change it to maintain security and control over your resources.
- Security mode – always choose to employ WPA2 level at a minimum to maintain a secure network.